Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Boy to Man

Gus, my younger son has a summer job. It is the same summer job he had last year. Last summer, he complained every single moment of the summer about this job. It was too hard. He was yelled at too much (think Hell's Kitchen). He had to work too often. He is picked on. And more.
He works at a small restaurant in town. It is located in a gas station/quickie mart. And it is popular. It was started by a retired Italian couple. The moved to our small town from Vegas, to retire. And run a small business. The make sandwiches and pasta. It is very casual and this couple made everyone feel like family. Because of the quality food for a fair price, the customer service like this town has never seen before, and quaintness of it all, this business became too much for the retired couple who was no longer retired. So, they gave the business to their daughter and her husband, a professional chef. They did a wonderful job of keeping the restaurant just as it was when the retired couple had it. And it became more popular.
But the chef missed working in the big kitchen. So the daughter and her husband chef sold the business. But before they sold, they hired my young son again.
The new owner thought she was walking into a money machine where she wouldn't have to do anything but sit back and count her piles of money. It's made it hard for everyone. She works my son ten hours a day, six days a week. He is grumpy. And tired. But, I'm not complaining. I think it is good he working so much. He is becoming responsible. And would you believe, he isn't complaining like he did last summer, when he worked only three days a week. I am proud of him. Before my very eyes, my young son is becoming a young man. I didn't think the day would ever come.

No comments: