Monday, October 6, 2008

First Snow

Photobucket
Gus went hunting with his friend Saturday morning. It was raining when they left at 4 am. They drove up the mountain to Navajo Lake and set up camp. They decided they were tired, so they climbed into their sleeping bags and fell asleep.

When they woke up, they were freezing cold and wet. The tent had a leak. Gus called us and asked if we could bring a different tent, and dry sleeping bags up to them. I was excited about it. I wanted to see the fall colors on the mountain. So up we went. And we hit a snow storm! I love the first snow of the season. It was so beautiful against the golds, reds, and oranges of the trees. I wish I hadn't forgot my camera.

We gave the new gear to the boys and headed back down the canyon. Daddy-O and I enjoyed a rare day to ourselves. We spent the afternoon window shopping, then having a late lunch. At home we watched a movie and made cookies. It was perfect.

About ten o'clock that evening we got another call from Gus. He and his friend were just too cold. He said they were miserable. So they were headed home. I was glad. I was sorry Gus didn't get to hunt, but happy to have him home. It took them an hour and a half to come the 24 miles from their campsite. He said the fog was thick and they had a hard time finding their way down. I was just glad he was home safe.

Hopefully, Daddy-O will be able to take Gus hunting later this week. It would be thrilling for him to get his elk.

tag by karrols korner

No comments: