Sunday, November 2, 2008

Grandpa's Doughnuts

Photobucket

I just checked the dictionary because I thought maybe Grandpa didn't know how to spell! But I learned doughnut is spelled correctly, no matter what my spell checker said! Interestingly, it can also be spelled donut and be spelled correctly. You can spell it how you like, but I thought I'd stay true to my Grandpa.

This recipe comes from my mom's Grandpa. I never met him but I'm telling you, these are the best homemade doughnuts I've ever eaten! We make them year round, but for some reason they taste best in the fall. I hope you enjoy them!

Grandpa's Doughnuts

1 cup buttermilk, 1 cup sugar, 4 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs, 2 1/2 tbl softened butter, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Stir everything until mixed. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into donut shape. Fry in heated oil until golden brown on each side.

This recipe is primitive. I usually just feel my way. I will test the oil with a piece of dough to see that it starts frying immediately, then I know it's hot enough. After frying I drain the donut on paper towels for a minute or two, then toss in powdered sugar to coat. These are best eaten the day they are made.

Photobucket

tag by simply siggies

3 comments:

Esthermay said...

OK... First, your music TOTALLY woke me up! Thank you. :-0
This is not a recipe I would normally look twice at.... but we have a tradition of frying food on NewYears' Day. (it's the only day I ever deep- fry anything) And this would be perfect! I am going back to hit print on this one. Grandpa's know thier doughnuts! I'll even share some with our grandpa - my dad (i.e., if my mother lets him intake the fat.)
Happy Monday!

skoots1mom said...

gonna make these soon...I've always wanted a good donut recipe
thanks!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Way to stick to the guidelines of "not health food!" I appreciate your contributing the first deep fried recipe and honoring your grandfather!