Sunday, March 8, 2009

Easy Chile Relleno Casserole

Last week when I made my menu plan, I put this recipe on my list. I promised I would come back and share it if we thought it was good. My husband and I loved it. We were home alone that night, so I don't know if Gus would have liked it or not. I doubt it. He hates casseroles. He calls them "old people food." LOL

Anyway, because I liked this recipe so much, it has gone into my recipe book and I am going to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it too.

Easy Chile Relleno Casserole

Serves 6

1 cup half and half
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
3 (4oz) cans whole green chilis
1/2 lb. grated monterey jack cheese
1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
Salsa, for serving

Beat half and half with eggs and flour until smooth. Split open chilis, rinse and remove seeds. Pat dry with paper towels. Toss together cheeses, setting aside 1/2 cup cheese for the topping.

In a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish, lightly grease, then layer chilies, cheese, and egg mixture, alternating until all is used. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top. Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 375 degrees F.

Serve with salsa.

Notes: In my oven, the casserole was done at 45 minutes. So you might want to watch it closely.
We drizzled the salsa on top and it was delicious. Also, we think next time we will roast our own chili's to use. I think it would be wonderful. I served it with a salad and pinto beans.

Photobucket