Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Little Miss Perfect

I have a confession to make. I'm a little bit embarrassed about it too. But I need to confess so I can heal.

I am addicted to pageant shows for little girls. I always thought they were awful. I would see a picture of a made up baby and feel so sorry for her. It was creepy how much they didn't look real. I hated it. I hated it and I judged the mothers.

One night, two weeks ago, I couldn't find anything to watch on television. A bigger person would have turned the TV off and found a book to read. I'm just not that person. I love me some good programming. Anyway, I happened upon a show on WEtv, called Little Miss Perfect. This program follows a pageant of the same name, highlighting different participants each episode. I was curious what the reality of the pageants were. I wanted to know about the mom's behind the little darlings.

I am ashamed to say I watched four episodes in a row. I discovered I was completely wrong about the girls. They love to compete. They love to dress up and practice their routines. I found nothing unhealthy about it. I don't agree with the fake teeth and the tanning. I wish they'd keep it more real. Some do.

I do think I was correct in my opinions of some of the mothers. They push too hard. I know they love their daughters, it's clear. But they are children. Settle down. And for heavens sake! Be a good example if your little precious doesn't win. Some of the women throw bigger tantrums than the girls. It is embarrassing!

My favorite episode featured a little princess named Jayne Dolinskiy. This girl was a hoot. She seemed to over power her mother a bit, but I thought it was healthy. She was the one who wanted to do the pageants. What I loved most about Jayne was her sincerity. She really, truly loved what she was doing. It wasn't about the trophy or ribbons. Although when she did win a trophy, she was genuinely delighted. I loved that.

I heard other moms say they will do them as long as their daughters wanted to participate, but it really seemed the moms enjoyed it more. Jayne's mom looked tired and not really enjoying herself. Maybe it was less due to the pageant and more to her daughters energy level.

Since watching this series I discovered another on TLC. It is called Toddlers and Tiaras. I've only seen one episode, but it seems like a more serious, upscale pageant than the Little Miss Perfect. I also noticed some of the girls are more bratty and the moms are more snotty. I have it set to record on my DVR so I can see all the episodes.

No matter which series I watch, I see little girls who are enjoying what they are doing. And they're building self esteem and social skills while they're at it. I find it to be not only entertaining, but healthy as well.

I never thought I'd hear myself say that!

1 comment:

Nifty Nique said...

Toddlers and Tiaras is my man's favorite show right now... Although I'm with you the girls seem super bratty. We don't have kids so I guess we watch to just be in awe of the expense and time that goes into this life style.