Monday, April 13, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

mpm pencil

I love Menu Plan Monday. I haven't participated for the past few weeks and I can honestly say it's made meal preparation difficult. I spend less money and less time in the kitchen when I plan my meals in advance.

Monday:
Chicken Divan
Rice

Tuesday:
Cabbage Rolls
Salad

Wednesday:
Navajo Tacos, recipe below

Thursday:
Sausage Gravy
Scrambled Eggs
Biscuits

Friday:
Oven Fried Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Steamed Vegetables

Saturday:
Flat Iron Steak
Twice Baked Potato
Salad

Sunday:
Daddy-O cooks, so he chooses the meal

This is our favorite Navajo taco recipe. The fry bread is wonderful and really makes the meal.

2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
2 Tbl. baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1 3/4 cups water
2 Tbl vegetable oil
2 Tbl sugar

Mix together all ingredients to make soft dough. Let rest for 15 minutes. Using small amounts of flour, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rest 15 minutes.
Pull off piece of dough, roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Make a slit, through the top layers of the dough. It shouldn't go all the way through. This is to help it fry faster, and avoid large air pockets. Fry both sides in hot oil. Drain on paper towels.
Recipe makes 10 to 16 depending on size of fry bread.

We top with refried beans, taco meat, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, olive and avocado.

If you'd like more menu ideas and recipes, be sure to visit here.

3 comments:

Nifty Nique said...

Ok cabbage rolls? I've never heard of these?? But I like cabbage, please share!

Jane said...

I don't really have a recipe that I use, although there are many out there. When I put them together, I will take pictures and post tomorrow afternoon.

Penney said...

Hi Jane,
I can't wait to try your navajo tacos, sounds delish. I saw an episode of Bobby Flay's show "Throw Down" where they made tacos like this. Yummy!