Monday, May 4, 2009

Not In The Mood

Photobucket
This is me and my Aunt Donna. She is my dad's sister and my favorite aunt. Okay, she's my favorite aunt on my dad's side. I can say that because I only have one aunt on my dad's side. I would hate to hurt anyone's feelings.

Each week day, my aunt and I email each other several times a day. We share menu ideas and cleaning tips. We keep each other up to date about what's happening in the weather, the news or in the family. It's wonderful.

The main reason for our emails to brag mention all we've accomplished in our home that day. She may wash ten loads of laundry, while I manage to clean one bathroom. That's how it usually goes. I just cannot keep up with her! She's amazing.

The past year we decided on a goal of doing all the laundry, and cleaning each room in our house in three days. That way we can have Thursday and Friday to play. I'm all about a four day weekend, so I was on board.

Knowing I can have those two extra days to do as I please, pushes me. Most weeks, I manage to get my list done. But sometimes, like this week, I fudge. I am not going to get all my work done. I am going to play. But I won't tell Aunt Donna. I will fib. Why do I do this?

I am a grown woman. Yet, I am afraid to tell the truth to my aunt. Why? Because she wakes up at 5:00 am most mornings. She will have four loads of laundry washed, dried and put away before I have even opened my eyes. I'm already a failure and I haven't even left my bed yet.

Truth be told, I admire her. She is strong and she knows her role. She saves her money. She serves my uncle. She is a woman from a generation unlike my own. She is what's right with the world. She is what I wish to become.

But I am still not working today. I'm playing. And I'm going to lie about it.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

mistie said...

Jane - you are an amazing woman! No fibbing!

Lor said...

Janey I am going to tell :)