Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dr Laura And The Wolf

Photobucket

I am currently reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I am wanting to become a better person and wife. While I don't always enjoy Dr. Laura's directness, I do appreciate her values.

In chapter 3, titled "You're a nag!", she shares the following story which was shared by a listeners minister.

A grandfather was talking to his grandson. "Grandson," he said, "there are two wolves living in my heart and they are at war with each other. One is vicious and cruel, the other is wise and kind."

"Grandfather," said the alarmed grandson, "which one will win?"

"The one I feed," said the grandfather.

I loved this example. Sometimes it's too easy to look at the negative side of things. I admit, I tend to be one of these people. I've never really accepted responsibility for my negativity. I thought it was just a result of the many challenges I've faced. This story has reminded me I have the choice. Of course, I always knew the choice was mine, but this simple story has taught me the lesson in a way nothing else has.

Maybe it can help you too.

No comments: