Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Glad Game

Photobucket
I wasn't feeling very well when I woke up this morning. A flu bug has been making it's way through this house. I am am the only one who hasn't been infected and I'd like to keep it that way.

I decided to stay in bed and rest it off. To tell the truth, I spend most Sundays in my bed anyway. I'm pretty sure that's why Sunday was invented. Anyway, I passed the time texting with Gus. He's not feeling well either. They call it 'recruit flu' but it seems to last far past the recruit stage. When PJ was first in the Corps I was very concerned because it seemed he was sick for the entire first year. Maybe it's by design. Maybe it gives their bodies a chance to build up what they need to fight infections as they serve in foreign places. I don't know. But, I'm not very happy with the military for not taking better care of my babies!

Gus decided he needed a nap so we said goodbye and I fell asleep myself. Happily, when I woke up three hours later I was feeling much better. I am hoping I have escaped the little germ. I suppose I'm kidding myself.

There was nothing on television to keep me entertained the rest of the afternoon so I put in a movie. I chose one of my all time favorite movies, Pollyanna.

Pollyanna, played by Hayley Mills, is a newly orphaned girl who is sent to live with her wealthy but stern Aunt Polly. She grew up without having much, yet learned to be happy about what she did have. She teaches the people of the small town where she now lives how to play The Glad Game.

The game is simply finding something positive in the negative. Through her example, she teaches the adults of the town to appreciate what they have.

It was good to be reminded of the glad game. I think I'll try it out and see if I can change my attitude about my current life.

1. Even though my marriage is ending, I'm glad to have somewhere comfortable to live.
2. Even though my boys are far away from me and I miss them as much as I do, I am glad to have modern technology to keep in touch every day.
3. Even though I now live in the desert and not in the mountains I love, I'm glad to have a screen saver that snows on my computer.
4. Even though there are no sweets in this house, I am glad to have some candy hidden in my closet. *snicker*
5. Even though I keep missing my favorite television programs, I am glad I can watch most of them later on my computer.
6. Even though I hate spiders, I'm glad I can squash them! (Or capture them and put them outside to live. Uh-huh, that's what I do.)

See? That's how it works! What are you glad for?

No comments: