Monday, December 7, 2009

Santa And The Marathon

Thanks to an early Christmas gift from Santa I am back online! It almost killed me to find something else to to do these past few days.  Happily, it was over before I knew it  and  now I'm back in my chair, in front of the computer and happy with life. Thanks Santa Clause.

I asked my brother Friday night if we had anything planned for the weekend. He looked at me like I was crazy. So, I looked back at him the same way. It kind of forced him to use his words to describe how he was feeling. Evidently, there was much planned for all of us.

The boys had their first formal dance Saturday. True to current trends they planned a day date prior to the evening date. My sister in law decided it was the perfect time to get her Christmas decorations out. Also, she and my brother had tickets to a Mannheim Steamroller concert Saturday evening. Then to top things off, she also signed all of us up to help with the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in Las Vegas early Sunday morning.  So I guess we did have a little something planned.

Saturday, the boys and their dates chose to go to the movies and have lunch. The theater is 30 minutes away so my brother drove them and dropped them off. While he was gone, my sister in law and I decorated one and half trees and put out totes full of more Christmas decorations. My brother came home, then he and his wife left for the concert. That put me in charge of picking the kids up from the movies and getting them to the dance. It was an easy assignment except for one thing. I cannot see to drive in the dark and it was dark by the time their movie was over.

I was terrified to drive them home, but I had no choice. I had one of the boys sit up in the front of the car with me and help me see. I surprised myself by making it home with all our limbs intact. I have to say, I was also very proud of myself! Yea me! Though I have no desire to do it again.

All day long I had been looking forward the couple of hours I would have to myself after everyone was gone. That time finally came after I took pictures of the happy couples and dropped them off. My hope was my brother and sister in law would be home in time to pick the kids up from the dance, so I could go to bed early. We needed to be in Vegas by 4:30 am for the marathon. Of course, that's not what happened. It was midnight by the time we all went to bed. I was trying to figure out how I was going to function on 3 hours of sleep.

Photobucket

Dressed up for the dance. I won't share names, but I'd be happy to share the countries they come from. From the left, Sweden, Italy, Austria and Germany. Aren't they cute?  Their accents are all so strong I don't know how they could understand each other!

My alarm went off very early. I couldn't hear movement in the house, so I hit snooze. Again it went off and again there was no sound coming from any part of the house. So it was snooze one more time. Again no sound or movent. So I turned off the alarm and dozed off.

Seven hours later, I woke up to hear activity outside my door. It turns out all of us were just too tired to get out of bed. So as bad as I feel about blowing off something I was signed up to do. I am so glad it wasn't just me who couldn't wake up.

Sunday turned out to be a wonderful, lazy day. I stayed in my pajamas all day, and I didn't even fix my hair. None of the others did much to their appearance either. So, in comparison, I didn't look that bad.  It's nice to have a day like that every once in a while.

The next time my brother gives me the crazy look when I ask about the weekend, I'm running away!

No comments: