Thursday, February 4, 2010

Simple Lessons I've Learned The Hard Way


I have to be up early in the morning so I don't have time for a regular post. You might notice, I usually write late. I always seem to post just after midnight. I do my best work when it's late.

I've been trying to be consistent and post most days. So for my fellow night owls who are looking for something new to read, this is for you.

 Five Things I've Learned During My Divorce
Photobucket
1. Never, ever judge others. Ever. You might think you know what is happening in someone else's life, but you don't. I wouldn't say I was a judgmental person, but I loved guessing why others did what they did. I was probably wrong 100% of the time. My life is the only one I should be dissecting.

Photobucket
2. Always look for the silver lining. I don't care how bad things are, there is a silver lining. Trust me. I've been to 'you know where' and back. Several times. I couldn't always see the good in my bad, but I've learned it's there. I just wasn't looking hard enough.
Photobucket
3. Enjoy today. My entire life has been about looking to tomorrow or longing for yesterday. I just did not know how to just relax and enjoy. I do now. My yesterdays went too fast, and my tomorrows (as I had them planned) never came. That is why today is so important. Every single day matters.

Photobucket
4. Stop judging myself. I was never satisfied with me. I was too fat, or I didn't have as many talents as my neighbor. My brownies never came out right. My face was too long. The list went on and on. I know now, I prevented others from loving me because I didn't love myself. I think of everything I've learned, this hurts the most.
Photobucket
5. Finally, ask for help when you need it. This was extremely difficult for me. I am a very private person and prefer to handle things myself. I finally had to ask for help. I had no choice. But I found others opened their hearts to me and wanted to help. I wasn't the burden I felt like I was. In fact, by keeping everything to myself, I shut others out and they felt like I didn't care about them.  So much of my life could have been different if I had only understood this.
Photobucket
These lessons of mine are basic though powerful. Because of them, I've finally learned how to love myself. I never dreamed the day would come where I could feel proud of me now...not when I lose ten pounds, or when I have the cutest clothes or the best furniture. But now.

You probably wonder what was wrong with me that I didn't know how these simple things would enrich my life. I know now.  That's what matters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet long hug and a kiss on the forehead! PP

Anonymous said...

Five great lessons learned that I need to work on! Thanks for the reminder!

YTB!