Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - The Pioneer Woman's Carrot Cake

Photobucket

When I woke up this morning, I decided to make carrot cake because my brother, Gary, has been craving it for weeks. All his talk about it had me craving it too.

The problem was I don't have a favorite recipe for it. The few recipes I've tried didn't impress me as they were either too dry or too oily. I'm not a fan  of carrot cake with raisins, pineapple or coconut in it. I just wanted a plain jane cake with lots of nuts mixed it. That's my idea of the perfect carrot cake.

I remembered The Pioneer Woman shared a recipe for carrot cake several months ago. I couldn't remember if it was the simple recipe I longed for, or if she put all the extras in hers. I was delighted to find it was of the simple variety. I couldn't wait to give it a try.

The recipe was uncomplicated except for one thing. There wasn't a temperature to bake it, nor were there exact baking times listed. So, I guessed 350°, and I set the timer for thirty minutes. When I checked it at the end of the thirty minutes, it wasn't quite done so I baked it for seven more minutes. It looked perfect.

After it cooled and was frosted, we dove in. I can honestly say this is the carrot cake recipe I've been looking for. The flavors and textures were perfect. The only problem was, I had over baked it a bit so it was just a little bit dry. I was disappointed but it didn't prevent me from having two slices. I couldn't help myself.

I wish I had a decent picture for you. I tried to take one, but my camera battery was dead. So I took a quick snapshot with my phone. Trust me. I'm a lousy photographer. But here it is anyway. I'll bet if I didn't tell you what it was a picture of, you'd never be able to figure it out!

Photobucket

If you want to give it a try and I think you should, you can find the recipe  here, at The Pioneer Woman's website.

For more yummy recipes don't forget to visit Blessed With Grace for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

No comments: