Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Twit Whos Tweets Made Me Laugh

I heard some bad news today. It has me upset, as you can imagine. I am left with an emptiness I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fill. You see, John Mayer is no longer going to tweet. It may not seem like much to you, but for me...it's tragic. He tweeted this explanation for his decision. I have no idea what it says, but I think it means he's outgrown twitter.
Photobucket
I've been following John on Twitter for more than a year. I can't really say he got me through the difficult months as my marriage was ending, but he certainly helped me laugh when it was hard to.

Okay, so he is crude at times. He's made racist comments, been connected to countless women and is the king of too much information. Then there's that whole Playboy interview thing.  But, I think there is much more to him than that. I wouldn't say he's been portrayed unfairly by media, but I think we tend to focus on the negative more than the positive. People do stupid things. We all do. We really need to stop seeing the bad in each other and find the positive.

Let me tell you what I do like about John. I love his music, first and foremost. His voice soothes me. I would give anything for him to sit on the edge of my bed and sing me to sleep. I don't want him to talk, or rub my back, I only want him to sing.

Did you know John Mayer donated a song to the Haiti effort? He agreed to waiver royalties when his song, The Heart of LIfe, is used in a public service announcement by The Red Cross which encourages people to donate to the Haiti efforts.

The Issac Foundation, which awards therapy grants to children with autism, calls Mayer, "a kind, caring and compassionate person which they have come to respect".  He also works for bringing awareness to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, saying  "I will do everything in my power to change and reframe the attitude of what it means to be a returning vet". 


It may seem as if I am vying to be the president of Mr Mayer's fan club. If it means a free concert T-shirt, cd's and a personally written note from the guy, then heck yeah! I'm in.  But really, I just like him and I'm disappointed he won't be sharing his intelligent, thoughtful and sometimes stupid humor with us.

Just in case you weren't a follow of John's I have chosen a few of my favorite tweets of his to share. I hope they make you laugh. Or at least, smile. C'mon guys. Give him a chance!

* In case you were wondering, academyofmotionsickness.com is still available for domain registration. You're super welcome.
* Currently in treatment for a validation dependency. It's nice here.
* I believe the US mint has changed the look of currency to prevent time travelers from smuggling cash into the past.
* And that's what adulthood is: you wake from the nightmare and realize there's no bigger bed to climb into.
* Watching the State of the Union Address. Wishing so very badly that Biden had a ponytail.
*Just read my Rolling Stone cover article. I'm still not sure if I would want to hang out with me.
And my all time favorite:
*Whenever they say it can't be done, remind them that they make a jellybean that tastes exactly like popcorn.

I don't really care what you think. I think he's hilarious. In honor of my very lame tribute to John Mayer tonight, I have added all new tunes to the music player on my sidebar. You're super welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats not to like? Anyone who has brought a smile to your face the past year, can't be all bad!

YTB!