Friday, April 23, 2010

We Deserve Better

This afternoon I was flipping through channels looking for something to watch on TV. I stopped at The Bonnie Hunt Show, mostly because I like her but also because I couldn't find anything else I wanted to see. To be honest, I only watched about ten minutes of her program because I was called out to help my neice with something.

Those ten minutes greatly impacted me. Her guest was filmmaker Robert Kenner. He was discussing a film he's made called Food, Inc. It is a two hour look into our nation's food industry. I was interested in what he was saying because I'm a huge fan of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and these two programs seem to go hand in hand.  Jamie is targeting the school lunch program, while Mr Kenner is shining light on the food industry that provides the processed foods to the school and to our grocery stores.

A couple of nights ago I spoke about how I am questioning my religion. I want to understand why I believe what I believe, and not just accept it because I'm told to. I think this is along the same lines. Do we question where our food comes from, and why it costs what it does? Do we demand quality foods? Do we ask why the prices are what they are, or do we simply pay and never give it another thought? If you're like me, you'll wonder to yourself, then pay your bill and forget all about it. We are accepting without questioning.

I am grateful for Jamie, and Mr Kenner who are asking the questions for us. We deserve healthy food. We deserve fair prices. We deserve to not become ill because of what we are fed. We deserve better than we are being given and it makes me angry. It's great there are people like these two out there fighting the fight, but we also have responsibility in it.

Listen. I admit I weight too much. I don't eat right and I don't exercise enough. I didn't feed my kids healthy foods and I didn't teach them to respect their bodies. I feel shame and sorrow for that every day. They are both in the Marine Corps now, and they struggle because they weren't fit and healthy enough when they went in. I left it up to the Corps to teach my kids what they should have already known. It makes me sick to my stomach. I wanted to be a better mom.

I know I'm not alone. I know there are many out there who are just like me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought my kid an ice cream cone because he had a bad day and I just wanted to see a smile on his face. I know now, a walk around the block listening to him talk about his day would have made him feel even better.

Just think about it. That's all I ask. If you haven't been watching Food Revolution, click here and watch all the episodes. The finale is on tonight on ABC. Don't miss it. You might learn something. If you haven't signed his petition yet, please consider it. You can find it here.

As for Food, Inc. you can watch it here. I haven't seen it but you can bet I will. I will also be eating apples instead of candy and I'll walk instead of nap. Hopefully, I can make my body healthier. More importantly, maybe I can be a good example to my boys.

Here is the trailer for Food, Inc. if you'd like to watch it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I read your blog after I enjoyed the buffet at 'M' with my parents! ;-)

YTB!