Thursday, May 27, 2010

Somewhere Out There

Photobucket

Do you remember the song, Somewhere Out There, from An American Tale? The movie came out in 1986. I was 24, lonely and wishing for my true love to find me. Somehow the lyrics to that song brought me comfort.

Somewhere out there,
beneath the pale moonlight,
someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight.

Somewhere out there,
someone's saying a prayer,
that we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there.

  And even though I know how very far apart we are,
it helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star.

  And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby,
it helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
if love can see us through,
then we'll be together, somewhere out there,
out where dreams come true.

Sometimes, I sit by my bedroom window and look out at the desert and I wonder if I'll be lucky enough to find another prince to rescue me from this almost unbearable loneliness. Some days, I almost believe it could happen.
I wonder about other stuff too. I think about my sons who are so far from me. It's comforting to look at the sky and know they too are under the same stars. I think about my dreams and wonder if they will come true, and how many more nights and days until it happens.

I look at the mountains in the distance and I think about the people who settled this part of the country. I wonder how they survived the wicked summers, or why they chose to stay here in the desert in the first place. I sometimes look out and wonder how many lizards, spiders and snakes are out there. Then I'm happy I can't see them.
I look at the clouds floating by and I think about the homes they'll shade from the sun. Then I think about the people in those houses and wonder what they might be doing. Maybe there is a wife is fixing dinner while her children do homework at the table. Or maybe there is a retired couple working on a puzzle while sipping coffee and laughing with each other.

Once in a while I realize under that great big sky are many, many people who are facing challenges much greater than mine. It makes me feel guilty for the whining I do. I have everything that is truly important.  I have a comfortable place to live where I am fed and kept warm. I have family and friends who care about me. I have my guys who call to check on me every day. I am safe and I am loved.
 
I still hope to look out the window one day, and see a prince on a white horse pulling a U-haul, to carry me and all my things into the sunset. But for now, I just feel lucky.

Edit: For some reason Blogger has messed up my paragraphs and won't let me fix them. But even more strange, I added this edit and then everything was fine. So I edited again to remove the edit and it was messed up again. So if everything looks how it should, please disregard my rambling. Thank you.

No comments: