Monday, June 28, 2010

God Is Great... And People Are Crazy

Photobucket

Gus called me this afternoon and said, "Mom. God is trying to kill me". Then he went on to describe several terrifyingly close calls he'd escaped this weekend. He was almost hit head on, while traveling on a two lane highway. A car traveling the opposite direction passed a car and almost didn't make it back to it's own lane safely. He also narrowly escaped a side hit in an intersection.

If I'm honest with myself, I am guessing my dear, stupid boy who has his 'beefed up' Mustang back, probably caused these near misses by speeding.  He is an excellent driver, but he loves going fast. I'd like to believe the stories he told me are exaggerations. He's a big story teller, putting the fear in me more than once, just to laugh his head off when I believe him.

However, he had a scary experience today that was neither his fault, nor was it a made up story. He went home with his best buddy this weekend. It's a seven hour drive from the base, and they were almost back when they stopped at a convenience store along the intestate.

Gus said he walked into the building and noticed a man holding a gun. He said it scared the life out of him, but he had to go to the bathroom so that's what he did. When he came out, the man and his gun were gone from the building and the clerk was on the phone with the police. He went out, got in the car and was putting on his seatbelt, when the armed man approached his car.

The man put the gun in Gus' face. He said he was scared to death. Well I guess so! The man asked him if it was his car. Gus said yes, afraid the guy would take it. Instead, the man admired it. Then he asked Gus and his buddy to give him all their money. Gus explained he only had fourteen dollars on him.

 The guy grabbed the money and said "Think of me when you're in Afghanistan".  Scary!

Gus said, his buddy who was driving, stepped on the gas and took off as fast as he could. They were already  back on base when he called me. I imagine if I were in that position, I would have done the same thing. It's human nature to run as far and as fast as you can from trouble. But I wish they'd stayed and talked to the officers.

I asked him why he went to the bathroom instead of defending the clerk. I assumed he's had some kind of training he could use. He assured me he's not a ninja and he was scared to death. He said he went to the bathroom because he couldn't hold it any longer.

He makes me laugh. I am so glad everyone is okay. And I pray they find the criminal that could have hurt several people today.  I am forever grateful he chose not to because he so easily could have.

I know in my heart, God did not try to kill my son. He saved his life.

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Gee Wiz... that is very scary indeed. I think it was great that they didn't confront the gunman I think it was extra bold to ask for the cash of two guys in a car... but I am glad that the car wasn't the target of the gunman's desire.

I think someone has angels looking out for them.

ToOdLeS.

Anonymous said...

Glad Gus and his friend weren't harmed. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

YTB!