Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What To Do?

When Gary and I started our on our cross country adventure, we both had a list of things we wanted to see or do. For instance, we each wanted to see our birth towns and we also wanted to eat at Steak and Shake. I desperately wanted to see fireflies  and eat warm boiled peanuts from a road side stand. Gary wanted to put his feet into the Atlantic Ocean. He also wanted a magnet from each state we visited for his collection.

I don't know how we did all that in the few days we traveled, but we were able to cross every wish off the list. All but one, that is.

You see, I may have mentioned before, we lived in Athens, Georgia as kids. Our dad was both attending and teaching at UGA. He was working on his doctorate degree and almost had it finished when he passed away. I was eight. Gary was twelve. Mom made the decision to move us out west, where we had lived prior to Georgia and where she had a network of friends for support in raising five small kids.

I've always remembered those years in Georgia as my happiest. I have wonderful memories of being a carefree, happy kid there. After  Dad died, much responsibility fell on my and Gary's shoulders as we were the oldest children. Gone were the carefree, happy days. Mom did her best, but that's another story.

I was excited when I realized we would have a layover in Atlanta. I knew we wouldn't have time to leave the airport, but just being in Georgia meant so much to me.

A couple of years ago, I was watching an episode of What Not To Wear. They had a girl on who was from Atlanta. In one of the scenes she was wearing a Georgia Bulldogs sweatshirt and I fell in love with it. It simple said "DAWGS".  I've spent so much time searching the internet for a sweatshirt just like it, but I've never been successful.

I told Gary, when we got to Atlanta, if there was a DAWGS sweatshirt in that airport, I was buying it no matter what it costs. I was disappointed to not find one or anything close to it.

Photobucket

Last night, I couldn't sleep and again searched for this sweatshirt. Guess what?? I found one!!  It's even on sale. It's not exactly like the Atlanta girl's, but it says DAWGS so that's good enough for me.

The problem is, it costs fifty bucks!!  While it seemed okay to buy it while traveling, I'm having second thoughts now. But, it's taken me two years to find it.  Then again, I don't really have an income so it seems extravagant. Yet, it's been a long time since I've bought myself something.

What to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember making boiled peanuts a number of years back because you made them sound so good. Hope to try them from a road side stand some day!!! YTB!

ShEiLa said...

How old was your Dad? When he passed away... so sad to lose your Dad when you were a child. My sister lost her hubby early and left her a single Mom of three young kiddos. She has had a very hard life being both Mom and Dad and sole provider... but she is amazing.

I really hope that you can get the DAWGS sweatshirt... especially when you have looked so long and have such fond memories.

ToOdLeS.