Monday, September 13, 2010

A Conversation With Gus

Gus had duty this weekend. For my non military readers, it means he had to sit in a room for 24 hours in case anyone needed anything. I'm certain there's more to it than that, but it's how it's been explained to me. Anyway, I was up late Friday night playing a game online when Gus text me and asked if I could keep him company. He said he was really tired and didn't think he could stay awake.

I was thrilled. It's not often I have that boys attention for more than five minutes at a time. He is always on the go and just doesn't have time to visit with his mom. PJ on the other hand, will talk to me for hours at a time. Anyway, Gus and I text back and forth until I could no longer keep my eyes opened. I think it was about 4am my time, when I finally had to get some sleep. It worked out well, because he had less than an hour of duty left by then.

We had a fun conversation. At one point he wrote and said he'd just seen a ghost. He explained he was walking on the catwalk, and looked over and saw 'someone' in uniform, walking along side him. It spooked him a bit. I love stories like that. I totally believe in ghosts.

But the best part of the night was when we reminisced about the last vacation our family took together. It was a few months before PJ was to leave for boot camp, and we decided to drive to San Diego for a week. We'd taken the kids other places for vacations over the years, but San Diego was our family's favorite place.

We spent an afternoon on the beach. We ate at all our favorite places and we visited the zoo and Sea World. I love Sea World. I would choose it over Disneyland any day!  It wasn't our first time there, but the boys were much younger the first time we went.

Our first trip, Gus asked if we could sit in the splash zone at the whale show. Reluctantly, we agreed. Daddy-O and I were relieved when we barely got splashed. Gus was disappointed. So when we went this time, Gus insisted we sit in the splash zone again. Remembering the last time, I felt confident we would be fine, so we agreed.

You can see where this is going, can't you?

We got soaked! I don't think I've ever been that wet in my life. No shower or bath has ever made me feel as wet at that stinkin' whale did! We saw the fin rise up and we knew what was coming. We were hit hard. So we open our eyes just in time to see it come again! Then it happened THREE more times!

Our clothes were drenched. Our hair was dripping. Our shoes were squishy. It was a miserable ride back to the hotel, that's for sure. Ha! It's a really good memory now.

When Gus and I were laughing about it, he said he wishes he could do it again. I told him I would be more than happy to take him to Sea World, but I'll be sitting outside the splash zone this time, thank you very much.

I don't have pictures of it. But here are some from our vacation that year. It was truly one of the happiest times of my life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

ShEiLa said...

Family trips are the best! Glad you got to have a chat with your son.

ToOdLeS.