Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I Was Scared Of Everything

Photobucket



Do you remember the first time you were frightened by a movie character?  For me, it was the evil queen in Snow White. Hearing her say she wanted Snow White's heart brought to her in a box was the most horrible thing my little ears had ever heard!  I'm certain I must have had nightmares after watching that movie. I was a tender little girl who had nightmares about everything!

Photobucket


I also remember being terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz. That pointy green face and screechy voice made me tremble with fear. When she threatened Dorothy with "I'll get you my pretty", I felt like she was talking to me and I just wanted to close my eyes and be somewhere safe. Then there were those awful flying monkeys! It's a wonder I ever made it through the whole movie.


PhotobucketAs bad as those two villains were, they didn't come close to the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I think he must be the most frightening character ever in a children's movie! I vividly remember the chills I would get whenever he entered a scene. I didn't dare move for fear he could reach through the television screen, snatch me up and throw me into the cage in the back of his truck. Even now, the thought of him makes me shiver a bit.

I remember when I took PJ to the movie theater for the first time. He was almost three years old and we went to see Beauty and The Beast. We bought a buttered popcorn and a root beer to share and settled in for the movie. I immediately got carried away with the catchy music and friendly characters. PJ seemed to be enjoying the film as much as I was.

When the Beast entered the story, I looked over to make sure my boy was okay. Remembering how much the villains in the movies of my youth frightened me, I wanted to be sure he wasn't too scared. I was delighted to see him, sitting up straight as he could, his eyes opened wide and his hand over his mouth. He was transfixed to the screen.

PhotobucketHe held his hand over his mouth for the entire movie, never making a sound and hardly moving. Afterwards, he chattered about how much fun he'd had, but he didn't like 'the scary Beast' very much. He didn't have nightmares like his chicken momma used to have. Instead, he enjoyed the magic of his first movie the way Walt Disney intended.

I have been looking forward to the re-release of Beauty and the Beast, as I missed picking up a copy the first time around. October 5, it will be available in both DVD and Blu-ray. I will be standing in line for my copy, not only because it's an enchanting film, but because I never want to forget that sweet boy of mine holding his hand over his face. I'll remember it every time I see the Beast.

1 comment:

ShEiLa said...

My copy of Beauty and the Beast is on the way... I joined the Disney Movie Club and I can't wait.

I totally can agree with all of your memorable frightening characters.

ToOdLeS.