Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Hero Passed Through Town

The county I live has lost its first soldier to the war. Pfc Jordan Byrd of the United States Army lost his life last week in Afghanistan. He was coming to the aid of another soldier who had been shot. He leaves behind a wife and an infant son, as well as his parents and siblings.

Photobucket

I had the honor of standing on Main Street yesterday to show my respect as this young soldier returned home. It was the first time I've had the opportunity to participate in such an event. I was overwhelmed with pride for my new town and the lengths that they had gone to show gratitude for their hero and support for his family.

Flags lined the highway into town for many miles. Bushiness had their flags at half mast. A reverence fell over town as the motorcade came into view. It was silent as we stood with our hands over our hearts, as the hearse carrying Pfc Byrd and the limo holding his family drove by. I was so proud to be a part of it.

It doesn't matter how we feel about this war, or any other. When a soldier falls, we need to stand and show our gratitude for the sacrifice that was made. It's the right thing to do, and it's really all they ask.

I didn't know Pfc Byrd, but I know I'll never forget him.

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Too bad that a young man like that has to give up his life and his wife is already a widow and his child fatherless... by the way... where is Osama Bin Laden????

I just feel we are fighting a battle that we have no place being involved in.

ToOdLeS.

Paula said...

God bless him and his family. What a hero. His wife and baby can be very proud.
It's always a sad day when a hero falls. It makes me a bit more sad to see what a young man he was.
Thanks for sharing this touching story.