Thursday, October 14, 2010

Take A Little Time...

I believe I've mentioned before how much I enjoy The View. It's not a program I schedule my life around, but I'm thrilled when I happen to be sitting in front of the telvevision when it comes on. I enjoy each of the ladies, though one of them, who shall remain nameless, really grates on my nerves. It's not Elizabeth by the way, but she's not my favorite either.

Photobucket

This morning was one of those lucky days when I was plopped in front of the tube at the right time. I was thrilled when it was announced Rick Springfield would be on. (Love!) I'm sure you won't be surprised to know I was one of many screaming girls in the audience of his concert, Salt Lake City, 1981.  It was a night I'll never forget. After Andy Gibb and The Bay City Rollers, Rick was the man of my dreams. Please don't make fun...I was a late bloomer. Anyway, I'll get back to Rick in a minute.

Photobucket

Russell Brand was also a guest on the program this morning. I wasn't sure if I cared to sit through his interview. You might remember my feelings concerning him the first time I saw him on television. They weren't very favorable.

Unfortunately, he was the first interview, which required I tolerate him in order to see Rick Springfield.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I completely enjoyed Russell! I found him to be sweet, funny and even intelligent. Wow. I guess Katy Perry has done him some good, though I'm not too fond of her either.

There were a few off color remarks, but they passed quickly. I was most impressed by the way he treated Barbara. He was gentle and attentive when speaking with her. I think that says a lot about a man, don't you?  For me, nice matters more than just about anything. It's easy to overlook many poor qualities, if a man is kind to those around him.

I believe he gained a new, but cautious, fan today.

Let's talk about Mr Springfield now, shall we?  He doesn't look as good as he used to. It is evident life has been hard on him. When he talks about his experiences, you start to understand why. He's battled depression his entire life. It lead to self esteem issues and rough years of drug and alcohol abuse.

It seems he's pulled himself together though and is anxious to share his story. When he was in his teens he, as he explains it, committed suicide. He was 100 percent committed to ending his life. He hung himself, but the rope came undone and he survived. He mentions all he would've missed out on (his career, family, experiences) if he had died that day.

His message to teens, and others who are contemplating ending their lives, is to wait a few weeks or months, because everything changes. Nothing ever stays the same. There are answers to the problems that might feel unsolvable.  I liked that. It's so true.

His book is titled Late, Late At Night. I am a huge fan of biography's and will certainly look forward to reading about his life.

Two very different men impressed me in different ways today. Russell Brand wasn't afraid to share how finding his true love has changed him for the better, and Rick Springfield wants to help others avoid the trials he's worked hard to overcome.

I guess it all goes to show what can happen when you take a little time to enjoy The View.

1 comment:

ShEiLa said...

I usually do enjoy The View.

Whoopi is my favorite!

I don't like Elizabeth much... mostly because the way I see things is so totally different from hers.

I won't get to see the show today... so thanks for the recap.
Off to Vegas. (a day at Legal Aid and Family Court with my DIL dealing with her X and custody issues should prove interesting)

ToOdLeS.