Monday, November 29, 2010

Please Mr Postman

Photobucket

Thanksgiving is over, and we are officially into the Christmas season. On Black Friday we were lured into stores to purchase gifts for those we love. Today is Cyber Monday where even more shopping will happen, but this time online, and these purchases will arrive through mail or by delivery truck.

I love to shop online. I love choosing what I want to buy, and looking for the best deals. After I type in all my information and click the 'buy' button, I get giddy about thinking when my beloved item will arrive. I check my email for tracking numbers, and I watch it travel across the country until it arrives at my door. Really. There isn't anything more wonderful.

This year, however, all that has changed. Not only will I not have the money to online shop, but even worse, I live with two mail carriers who've ruined the excitement for me. I now understand the mistakes I've made in the past that caused grief for my own mail carrier. It has squashed some of the joy for me.

Because I would hate for the same to happen to you, I thought this might be an appropriate time to share what I've learned about the business of mail delivery.

First and foremost, please understand the time it takes to get that package or letter to your door. My sister works on average, eight hours and delivers to more than seven hundred homes each day.  My brother in law, however works between ten and twelve hours each day. The time depends on the route they are assigned. Some are bigger or more rural than others. Each is unique.

They've already worked for several hours, getting their mail organized and everything put in order according to the addresses to which they deliver, before leaving the post office in the morning. Please be patient as they won't always arrive at your house at the same time each day. Also, if you have a mailbox on the street, please make sure it is clear of cars, snow, trashcans or anything that causes them to leave their truck, and walk over to your box to leave your mail.  It may seem like it takes them just seconds, but add that to seven hundred homes, and it really can slow them down.

If you receive your mail in one of these style boxes:

Photobucket

Or these:
Photobucket

please,please pick your mail up every day. It may seem convenient because it's safely locked, to not have to check it every day, but the problem is, when the mail comes tomorrow there is no where to put it. It's unfair to expect your carrier to bring it to your door.

Some carriers have treats in their trucks in case they happen to meet an unfriendly dog. Please do not expect your mailman to give your dog a treat each day. Not only is it expensive to keep the truck stocked, but it's unfair to expect it, and it could be dangerous to have the dog run up to the truck.

Sometimes it becomes necessary to fill out change of address, or mail hold forms. Please fill these out carefully and accurately.  Your postal carrier cannot read your mind and they only have the information you give them.  It will make serving you easier if you double check to see you filled the forms out correctly.

My sister and her husband have both mentioned how much they enjoy getting to know the people on their routes. A friendly hello can do wonders to make what they do worthwhile. But please, don't expect them to stop and visit for too long. They still have a long day ahead of them.

Finally, please remember they are human. They have bad days just like you and I do. Please be patient if you find a problem with your mail. They know how important your mail is, and will do what they can to fix any problems. Let them know when you appreciate them. It will go a long way to receiving the best service they can give you.

1 comment:

ShEiLa said...

I have worked for the USPS and everything you said is so true. I hope someone reads this and learns something new... little things make a BIG difference.

ToOdLeS.