Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pumpkin Pies, Rolls and of course, How I Really Feel About Thanksgiving

Photobucket

Growing up, I always hated Thanksgiving. It seemed like too much work and not enough fun. We didn't have relatives close by, so every year it was just my mom, brother and sisters at our Thanksgiving table. Mom did all the cooking, and I was always stuck washing the dishes. It just didn't feel special.

When I got married, we lived in the same town as both sets of parents. To keep peace, Daddy-O, the boys and I would alternate years between our family's homes. I longed to fix my own Thanksgiving for my little family.  But sadly, it never happened.

I still hope the day will come when I can fix Thanksgiving in my own home. I think I've finally learned what a special holiday it really is. As much as I'm missing my guys, I realize it's about being together and the work it requires, is really a labor of love.

I've always been a slow learner.

Even though I won't have my boys with me this year, I will be with people I love. I am very thankful for this family that took me in and for the love they envelope me in every single day. And unlike my mom, Becky is letting me cook a bit as well as help with the dishes. As far as I'm concerned it's a promotion!

She has asked me to make the pumpkin pies, jello salad and rolls. These are three of the best recipes I have.  I can't wait to get started as it's been so long since I've made any of them.

A few months ago, I shared my jello recipe here. If you don't already have your own favorite pumpkin pie and dinner roll recipes, then I urge you to try these. They're easy to make and the results are heavenly!


Best Ever Pumpkin Pie

1¾ cups canned pumpkin
2 eggs, beaten
1¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
One 9 inch pie shell

Combine all ingredients and beat at medium speed for two minutes. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes, then turn to 350° and finish baking for 50 minutes. Cool. Serve with whipped cream.



Lion House Dinner Rolls

2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2/3 cup non fat dry milk
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
5 to 5½ cups flour

In mixer, combine water, dry milk powder and stir to combine. Add yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg and 2 cups flour. Mix two minutes. Gradually add more flour, mixing until you have soft, almost sticky dough. Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to raise until doubled in size. Shape rolls, cover and let rise again. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.

I found this same roll recipe at Real Mom Kitchen. (Click here) Laura gives a history to the recipe as well as more detailed instructions. She also includes a recipe for honey butter. Yum!

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to dig in Thursday! I'll be wearing sweatpants so I can indulge in all the goodness. It's the grateful thing to do, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little tempTed to make a Japanese Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving. The Japanese Pumpkin is actually a KabOcha squash. I don't actually often coOk and have never made a pie. I was unsuccessful at talking my niece in to making it, so it likely won't get made. But I said I was only 'tempted!' I Did taLk my mothEr into making chestnut stuffing, just So I could try it. :)

I'd gladly let you cook either or both! My kitchen is always available for you to use. Glad you have been promoted! Have a great day! Sorry for the long comment.

YTB!

Paula said...

I didn't appreciate Thanksgiving either, until I started my own traditions.
I'm impressed that you make your own rolls! I buy the frozen little dough balls and that may be as close to home made as I ever get.
Have a blessed day!

Lin said...

The good thing is that you'll be around people you love. I think it's important to not go on others' traditions & make your own. One day you'll get the chance to host Thanksgiving dinner at your own house :)

Also, that's the same recipe I use for my pumpkin pie & I love it!