Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Good Kind Of Squish

Photobucket

Today was a big day... I had my first mammogram. My aunt, my mom's sister, is currently fighting breast cancer. It's been an ugly fight and we aren't sure if she will win. But sadly, that's not the reason I had one done today. Stupidly, I have refused to acknowledge the link between her cancer and my chance for cancer. I think I've had too many things to worry about and couldn't add one more to the list, so I've pretended it doesn't affect me.

The reason I had a mammogram today is so I can be prescribed estrogen.  I have taken estrogen since just after my brain surgery in 1996. Until now, not a single doctor has questioned whether I needed screening before writing out the prescription for me. So, I was surprised when I saw my new doctor and she refused until I had the test. I am grateful someone is watching out for me. Maybe that's the difference between going to a woman doctor (my first) and men doctors.

I wasn't nervous a bit, and really the whole experience was a breeze. I went to the Huntsman Cancer Center in Salt Lake City. They have it down to a science. I was in and out in twenty five minutes. I won't say it didn't hurt, because it did. But it was only for a moment as they took each picture. The worst part of my experience? The technician who helped me. She was super sweet and very informative, but her breath was horrible!

I'm not worried about the results. I know they will be fine. But I'm really happy I was forced to get a baseline done today. The truth is, I do have a family history of breast cancer, even if there has only been one family member who's had it. Watching what she has gone through scares me and I'll do anything I can to avoid it.

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

My Mother was a breast cancer survivor so I have had mammograms since I was 25 years old. Kudos to you for having the screening. I was on HRT for awhile then I developed a lump that had to be biopsied. It was benign but they took me off of the meds. Best Wishes to you... nothing like being healthy and feeling good.

ToOdLeS.

About Me: said...

Yay for you hon! Ive been trying to get my mom to have one done & she's always managed to put it on the back burner.

Also, you had me cracking up about the sweet girl & her bad breathe.Haha...