Thursday, March 24, 2011

F U N E X?

When we were kids, my sister Sam and I loved to make up new languages. It would make mom crazy because we refused to speak to her normally for days after we invented each one. I thought we were so clever, but looking back, we were really just stupid. Ha!

One day, I read a small article in our local newspaper about using letters as words. I forget the official name for this type of conversation, but it gave this example:

Person 1: F U N E X
Person 2: S! V F X
Person 1: F U N E M
Person 2: S!  V F M
Person 1: O K. I F M N X

We loved that stupid conversation. It has made us laugh for years. We even gave Sam's old boyfriend a wedding gift based on it. We bought a frying pan and filled it with all things ham and eggs. Good times. Good times.

A couple of nights ago, after waking from a bad dream, this came into my head and I haven't been able to shake it.  I googled this morning, looking for the correct name for this usage of letters, but was unsuccessful. I did however find this delightful video using my and Sammy's beloved conversation.  It's a bit different from the conversation we've said for years, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. 

No comments: