Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lordy Lordy

...look who's forty!

It's my baby sister, Becky's birthday today! She's been dreading it to the point of irritability for the past couple of months. I don't know why it's such a big deal for her, but it is. Because I am the big sister, I tease her to tears about it! I have to...it's my job.

Photobucket

In all seriousness, I love this girl. I love all my sisters, but from the moment she came into the world, Becky was special to me. She was born on a Monday morning and because our mom and dad were at the hospital all day, I had to miss Brownies to stay home with my other two little sisters. I hated brownies. So much. (Not to be confused with brownies the chocolate treat. I love those!) I think that is the reason I immediately bonded with the little babe who got me out of going to my dreaded scout meeting.

On my twentieth birthday, our mom was in a hospital in five hours away.  I lived alone in my own apartment at the time, and felt lonely and sad to not have anyone to celebrate my birthday with me. I received a call that a gift was left for me on the kitchen counter at mom's house. I drove down and discovered an empty glass jar. That was my gift. I felt ungrateful as I cried a good cry. My birthdays have always been awful, but that's another story.

Anyway, I went back to my apartment, and threw myself a huge pity party. (It was my party...I could cry if I wanted to). A couple of hours later, my sister Becky arrived, with the jar, and she had made a pretty flower arrangement and put inside. It was so sweet. But the kicker is, she was suffering from rheumatic fever, and could barely walk. Yet she managed to crawl up the flight of stairs to my apartment to make my day a little happier. I will always love that girl for her unselfish and very thoughtful gift that day.

She has been my best friend for most of my life, and my hero for the past two years. I can honestly say I would have not made it through without her. I love her with all my heart. I think she's one of the most amazing people I've ever known.

So happy birthday little sister. You may be old, but you'll never be as old as I am!

PS. If you're reading this Becky, please forgive me for the picture...it's the only one I could find with all of us in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish Becky a belated happy birthday for me! Hope all is well. YTB!