Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Harry, Edward and Duran Duran

I'm not a joiner. When the rest of the world was listening to Duran Duran or Wham,  I was listening to George Strait. I've never played Angry Birds and I never saw a single episode of Lost. I march to the beat of my own drum and it's always worked  for me.

Photobucket

I never saw a single Harry Potter movie, or read any of the Twilight books. That is until the past two weeks. When the newest and the very last Harry Potter movie was released, I was finally curious and desired to see them.  Happily, Becky has all the movies so we spent a week watching all of them, one after another.  I was surprised how quickly I was drawn into the story of Harry, Ron and Hermione. They are charming and leave me wishing I was one of their close friends as well.

I'll be honest.  I would have to watch these movies a dozen more times to understand everything that happened. I was overwhelmed with the fast moving story lines and strange names. I couldn't keep track of everything. At first, I had Becky pause the movies while I asked questions, but Trey grew impatient with me so I stopped asking. My old tired brain cannot compete with his fresh absorbent one. He understood all of it, although in my defense, he did read the books as well. That gave him an advantage.

Becky and I are going to see the newest Harry Potter movie tomorrow. I am excited to see it but at the same time I dread it. I don't want it to be over. I just found this wonderful series and now it's over. I wish I had joined in when the first movie came out.

Photobucket

When we finished watching the movies, Becky asked if I wanted to read the Twilight books. I, of course, said no thank you. But she pushed me and wanted to know why. I didn't really have an answer so she asked if I would just read the first one. I seemed fair enough so I agreed.

Oh my word!  That book took over my life! It only took a day and a half to read the entire thing. I was hooked. Edward was all I could think about! I wanted more! Needless to say, I read each of the books in the series, one after another and within a week I had finished them all.

I am still surprised that I enjoyed them as I did. I do not like dark and scary things and vampires and werewolves fit in that category. I never imagined I could enjoy anything where they were present. But I did! I look forward to seeing those movies next.

I learned a lesson this past month. I need to join in, at least a bit, when the next big thing happens. I might surprise myself and enjoy what everyone else is enjoying. Or maybe I won't, but I'll never know if I don't try.

Photobucket

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go listen to Duran Duran. It's never to late to see if I like them too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read. Harry. Potter!

YTB!

Anonymous said...

Duran Duran is coming to Vegas, Friday, September 30th. Just sayin'!

YTB!

Ryan and Mistie said...

I'm sticking firmly in the non-participation line. heehee I read the first Twilight, and hated it. (Don't throw rocks at me, please.) I've never read a HP book, or seen a movie. But hey, I have always said to each their own. I love to read though, and I love picking up a book and finishing it that day, or close to it. I'm not a very good mom when I get a good book in my hands, though.